Thursday, December 29, 2011

My Shero

When it comes to people I admire, rarely does it include an A list celebrity. My idea of a hero/shero are everyday people: family, friends, mentors, pastors, authors, artists, activist,advocates, your everyday blue collar worker and even children. I look up to genuinely righteous people who are human and flawed yet, accomplish great things, have character, people who keep their word, honor their families, mentor their children, work hard, overcome adversity, keep the faith, blaze a trail, make a difference, speak out when it's unpopular, or stand up for what is right. But recently, my admiration goes out to someone who represents all of these things and also happens to be a celebrity. Guiliana Rancic is currently battling breast cancer publicly with more grace and courage than I ever thought possible. Having recently undergone a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery, she is quoted as saying, "My breasts have never defined me and now they never will". Guiliana has not shied away from the media attention surrounding this very private matter but rather she was back on the set of E! News two weeks after her surgery and she can be found on her fabfitfun page on facebook or on twitter sharing her characteristicly positive outlook and gratitude to all of her fans and the public for their support of her courageous battle. I consider Guiliana to be the ultimate feminist! Long before she faced a public battle with breast cancer, she has publicly taken on other women's issues such as fertility, balancing a career and marriage and allowing us a glimpse inside of her world with her reality show Guiliana & Bill. Guiliana is my definition of courage and she will be in my prayers for a speedy recovery!
I'm interested to know, Who is your hero or shero and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment