Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Radical Chicana

My husband works in downtown Los Angeles for a non profit organization that works for a variety of causes for blue collar workers. One of the movements is called Justice for Janitors. Recently my husband came home from work with a very special gift for baby girl. A children's book called "Si Se Puede" autographed by the author, Diana Cohn. This children's book is a story about a young boy who is very proud of his mother who is a janitor.

My husband tried his best to explain to baby girl how special this book is.
Hubby: Mija, this is a very special book. You have to take very good care of it.

I chime in:
Me: Yes mija, you can't write . . .or color on this book . . . or wrinkle the pages. You have to take very good care of it.

My Hubby continues: . . . If you take really good care of this book,. . . when you get older, you can give this book to your children.

Baby girl looks up with her eyes as big as I have ever seen them and answers back:

. . . . But Papi. . .I don't want kids!


Sorry Papi, this little Radical Chicana is already challenging your assumption that she is supposed to grow up and bare children . . .Si se puede! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment