Saturday, July 31, 2010

Brown Bag Lunch

So it's 7:15am and I'm rushing in the morning to pack a lunch for baby girl.
Me: What would you like for lunch sweetie?
Baby Girl: Peanut Butter and Jelly
Me: Mija, Peanut Butter and Jelly sounds like dessert . . .Wouldn't you like a turkey sandwich?
Big Sister: No Mom! She only eats PB&J
Me: Fine, I'll make a PB&J

I quickly assemble baby girl's lunch and in the interest of getting out the door on time, I pack the exact same thing for myself. No time for a separate menu as I have to make my rounds, getting everyone off to school so I can start my treck to the district office to work on our software implementation. I drop baby girl and big sister off at school and soon I'm making my way to the district office.

Before I know it, the morning has passed and the implementation team is dismissed for lunch. My colleagues and I all make our way to the multi-purpose room to eat our lunch and catch up on the latest from each campus. We spot an empty table, settle in, and each begin to bring out our lunch.

As I glance across the table, I notice that one colleague has a yummy salad with all of the vibrant greens from spinich to romaine, with fresh veggies and grilled salmon. Next, I notice another colleague who has a freshly boiled artichoke with the top perfectly sliced off and a small tupperware container with dip for her artichoke. I glance at yet another colleague who has green salad and a fresh variety of rasberries and blackberries.

I gaze down at my brown paper sack and realize it's is an exact clone of baby girl's lunch, complete with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a bag of frito corn chips, and a jello cup.

"I'm guessing no possibility of a lunch trade" I think to myself.

On the one hand, I feel like I should be a bit embarrassed by this child like lunch. . . but on the contrary, I can't help but feel all warm inside at the thought that I am eating baby girl's favorite. Without shame, I delightfully enjoy my PB&J, finish up my fritos and scoop out the last spoonful of my red jello cup. "So what's happening on your campus?" I ask my colleague, as I casually sip my capri sun. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment